[kwlug-disc] Cable internet providers

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Jun 4 14:04:25 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

> Purchasing the modem from Acme Telephone ($75) and save yourself a few
> bucks:
>
>  http://www.speedtouch.ca/typesearch.php
>
> (be sure the get the right model -- dcm476 and dcm476rs are very
> similar, and probably not interchangeable)
>
> Teksavvy is OK with third-party modems; don't know about the other guys.

Teksavvy can only allow third-party modems that Rogers is willing to
activate. You need to ensure you're meeting the minimum Docsis requirements
that Rogers is enforcing for new service. I found it not worth my time
worrying about saving $20, and just got my modem from teksavvy
pre-allocated to my account.

Also, teksavvy also has new rates coming June 15: I believe everybody gets
the same speed changes at the same time due to the ATIPA arrangement they
all share.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29285232-New-rCable-speeds-and-rates-in-Rogers-serving-areas-