[kwlug-disc] (question) Which UPS to buy?

Mon Jun 2 12:06:53 EDT 2014

On Jun 2, 2014, at 12:00 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> For ordinary consumers looking for "cheap" UPS,
> which UPS brand/model should they buy?

I still recommend APC. They’re the name and they’re really not that much more expensive.

Having said that, when my APC finally died (not batteries, but actual component failure) I picked up a CyberPower unit from Canada Computers and it’s worked well for my home server. It’s kind of hard to gauge UPSes because they only time you notice them is when they’re not working.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_438&item_id=020886

That’s the one I got. It’s got a USB connection to my Linux PC but I am not actually using any software to monitor it. They have a Linux binary (deb/rpm/tgz) that does the same thing as their windows software: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/management-software/ppl.html?selectedTabId=resources

-A.