[kwlug-disc] UPS sized battery purchasing locally?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Jun 1 23:57:24 EDT 2014

Sorry John, you've missed the point.

'pure sine wave' in ups' usually mean power live conditioned.

Most UPS', especially cheap ones, e.g. used to be APC Back-UPS vs
Smart-UPS, straight pass through the mains (surge protected). It's only
on battery power that you get conditioned power.

'pure sine' ups' typically also act as full time line conditioners as
well, instead of having to also purchase a line conditioner.

Not just trim the tops and bottoms off, or bump, brownouts / blackouts,
and otherwise pass it through, but actually condition all of the power,
all of the time.

There was a time when such was considered pretty important for equipment
longevity, and to assist in decreasing the frequency of stupid glitches
within a computer. Ones slipping into zeroes, and vice versa. [I can
only imagine the power inputs to a super-cooled Cray.]

I'm not sure I agree, with most consumer grade equipment today, which
seem to not last long enough for any cumulative power effect to come
into play before you have to replace a beastie anyways.

Let alone if you're just plugging a DC power brick into it.

'Better' power costs more, and there are tiers. Something to pay
attention to (as in feature differential) when ups shopping, so you's
knows what you're buying. (Caveat eptor.)

And is why I have typically preferred Tripp-Lite over APC, and been
willing to pay a bit more for.

And is why I said what I did about APC, wrt $ for $ value.