[kwlug-disc] Any experience with cloudatcost.com VPS?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jul 31 12:47:56 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 9:12 AM, hubert <hubert at uhoreg.ca> wrote:

> Yes, they have OpenVZ and KVM plans; the KVM plans are more expensive. My
> VPSs are both OpenVZ.  One is for personal use, and the other is for work
> use, but is not mission-critical, and neither of them use a database.

Perhaps the light I/O load on the VPS makes its performance acceptable.

Drupal does require a database, and some sites do use it heavily, and
therefore OpenVZ could be unsuitable for Drupal (and similar loads).

Does KVM have the same performance issues that you've observed with OpenVZ?

No. I have not tested KVM.

I have been running on Xen VPSs for many years, and Xen is perfectly suited
for Drupal (apart from underpowered slow I/O Amazon AWS, pre-SSD).

KVM should be similar to Xen. It is just not used much by large hosting
companies (Amazon AWS, Linode, RackSpace Cloud, ...etc. See other thread
for interia/sunk cost/...etc.).

> --
> Hubert Chathi - Email/Jabber: hubert at uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
> PGP/GnuPG key: 4096R/113A1368 (Key available at pool.sks-keyservers.net)
> Fingerprint: F24C F749 6C73 DDB8 DCB8  72DE B2DE 88D3 113A 1368

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken