[kwlug-disc] question -- Intel Wireless-N 7260 (N300, single-band)

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jul 30 08:37:21 EDT 2014

 > Basically, I'm looking for something that is better than 100Mbit wired
 > connection.

You will look in vain. Went through the same thing, and documented it:

http://kwlug.org/node/750

A Gbps usb adapter will give you slightly more speed, but not much.
(Given how much one uses the net, every little bit helps. Particularly
if backing up mult-GB images over the net each night.)

YMMV - this was before USB3, so a USB3/GB may offer real improvement. As
would turning off all encryption on wi-fi (bad move, bad, bad ...), or a
more modern multi-antenna router.

Seems to me I've now seen 450Mbps and 600Mbps routers, but the problem
will be you can be the only user of the wi-fi to get that speed -
anything in the area that even says hello and you're done. Router speed
/ # of devices saying hello = individual device speed. And you will have
to buy an accompanying usb3 dongle for the laptop.

The encryption overhead of wi-fi not present in copper means copper will
always win, hands down. (Assuming net built out - a gbps nic on a 100
mbps switch is still going to limit you to 100 mbps.)

Would be interested to see throughput results on these multi-antenna
450Mbps+ routers.

Only other thing I can think of is a dock - if there is one for your box.