[kwlug-disc] Moving away from Rogers Internet

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jul 26 22:54:53 EDT 2014

On 14-07-26 02:05 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> The slight snapiness that I am perceiving may be due to a lack of deep
> packet inspection too ...

I don't believe you are avoiding that. I believe all Rogers traffic, and
it is all Rogers traffic, suffers that.

I remember wondering / checking that out a few years back when I
considered Rogers alternatives, and the consensus seems to be you avoid
nothing. Regardless of the vendor, it is on the Rogers network / their
policies - to the point of the cross-vendor hop. IIRC, and it may still
be true, you could detect this because Rogers stopped throttling torrent
traffic in favour of throttling all encrypted traffic. So you could test
this by a ftp/http transfer vs a https/sftp/ftps transfer speed
comparison. vis a vis the DSL max rate of 5Mbps, cable wins out, even
with throttling. If Rogers is available to one - someone on the list
moved into a new subdivision sans Rogers, so this option wasn't
available to them.

So, in our K-W case, it's all Rogers through and into Grand Crest Place,
at which point it hops over to the 3rd party's links.

This was where Acanac got bogged down when they did - their links at
Grand Crest Place were oversaturated. At one point they had to stop
accepting new subscribers. Once they upgraded with more (faster?) links,
their capacity issues went away.

Over the same time period, Rogers did their own internal capacity
improvements, so apparently it was like a double-bump for the area.
IIRC, new Rogers customers were having problems at the time, too. So
their bump came from both internal and external capacity improvements.
i.e. I had the sense they addressed internal issues as well as increased
their pipes to their own internal next hops up, presumably Front St.