[kwlug-disc] A little help with the find command

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:13:33 EDT 2014

I am searching through pretty well randomized directories for files using
strings that I have massaged into the form *blah*crud*junk* using a
spreadsheet.  So the command:

find /home/rbclemen/src -iname *blah*crud*junk* -print0 | xargs -t -0 -I {}
mv -v {} .

does what I want it to.  It would be more useful, however, if the order of
the words in the search string was not relevant.  it currently only finds
instances where those words appear in that order, or as part of words that
appear in that order.  Anyone able to suggest a way to make the matching of
the multiple terms not order dependent?  Producing additional strings with
the terms in a different order would be non trivial.

Brent