[kwlug-disc] Switching Jobs from Debian Shop to RHEL?

Joe Wennechuk youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 13:40:01 EDT 2014

This bit of kung fu is going in my toolbox.

From: timdaman at gmail.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 18:50:29 -0400
To: kwlug-disc at kwlug.org
Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] Switching Jobs from Debian Shop to RHEL?

To add to William's hint...

You will find yourself editing something at some point and suddenly realize, when saving, your don't have permissions to edit it. Normally one will end up writing to /tmp, quitting, sudoing to root (sudo -i), catting the /tmp file over the original, and dropping privileges again.

There is a better way
   :w !sudo tee %

:w: Write a file (in vi speak)
!: specify that a pipe should be used to write the file
sudo: Become root
tee: take standard input and copy it to a file

%: expands to the current file open in the buffer (vi function)

I am embarrassed to say how often I use this trick.
--Tim
--Tim

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 01:59:45PM -0400, Chris Craig wrote:

> On 13 July 2014 12:52, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> > Hands-on is the best way.  It won't take long, if you already know one

> > Linux.  Most of "issues" you'll face will be how it interacts with other

> > machines.  And, that's something you can't learn in isolation.

> I've used Debian/Ubuntu at work for the last three jobs I've had, but

> still use Slackware at home. Well I did use Slackware for the first of

> the three but there were some issues with cross compiling so switched

> to Debian. I played around with Red Hat as my first Linux distro but

> ultimately didn't like it too much - that was over 10 years ago

> though. The most trouble I had was with dependency resolution. I'd

> rather solve dependencies manually with Slackware than try to get rpm

> to recognize that they're resolved, or not as the case may be.

> There are things I tolerate at work that I wouldn't at home, but

> they're different use cases. Unity is too flaky and I never liked

> their unified application menu or task switcher, but there are limited

> applications that I use so it's not too bad. At home I wouldn't find

> it usable.

> One of the major differences you might find is if you're dependent on

> "sudo" for a lot of things, it's not used so much outside of Ubuntu. I

> use sudo at work and not really at home. I've found that Red Hat

> doesn't upgrade well.

> You might find this interesting, Joe:

> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/57849

A fellow Slackware users... howdy. :-)

Here's some thought on "sudo" off top of my head (in case you don't get

straight root access):

    - sudo -i

    - sudo -e   --> edit file

    - visudo    --> edit /etc/sudoers.  I add "NOPASSWD:" to avoid

      typing password.

    - vipw [-s]

    - vigr [-s]

--