[kwlug-disc] How to choose a new motherboard

Chris Craig kwlug.org at ciotog.net
Sun Jul 6 08:47:14 EDT 2014

On 5 July 2014 23:51, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> After installing Debian DVD, I was surprised that my laptop's Intel
> wireless didn't work.  I had to download relevant intel firmware package
> from pkgs.org.  Since then, I never installed Debian again.

After installing Ubuntu on an Acer laptop I bought several years ago,
various things didn't work (lid events, wireless, etc). I was never
able to get wireless (Atheros) working, so I installed Debian and with
that it was fairly easy. Lid events and such worked without further
configuration.

A few years prior I tried Ubuntu on an iBook G3 and it was a train
wreck. As was Yellow Dog. Debian worked almost perfectly.