[kwlug-disc] How to choose a new motherboard

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jul 1 00:08:33 EDT 2014

Yep, integrated graphics is hard to beat.

Let us know how it goes, was looking at the 3 monitor idea too.
Hopefully you didn't get caught discovering the 3rd was mini-HDMI only
after you got home - and could have bought the doohickey at the store if
you had but spotted it beforehand.

Lost a sandybridge last year, ended up deciding to wait for the soon
coming next gen (more sata ports). Never did get back to pursuing it.
The hangup was the usb hangup processor glitch. And trying to get decent
memory, matched - never stocked. Was trying to do 4 x 8GB as I recall.
I've almost gotten to the point of spending the money and maxing things
out from day one - so I don't have to keep revisiting the problem. Over,
and overs - year apart, forgetting all the research accomplished between.

Notes here made me go poke at when the next cpu / chipset cycle is out -
far as I could tell, mid-next year. So I would have thought a 6 month
review would still have been ok. Perhaps I'm confusing z87 and z97.

What's changed with SecureBoot? I thought all that was figured out - if
not yet pervasively implemented / saturated in the market place.

Buy a new sata dvd (cheap) - avoid the protocol delays and translation
issues. (Or an ISA card, for backwards use when something else breaks
somewhere else.) An external sata/usb writable Blu-Ray might also be
tempting. Except from what I could see, writing a double-sided double
density Blu-Ray would take forever, making just using another drive
attractive - if just archiving.

- even DVDs are becoming less and less used. And more and more distros
coming in usb key versions. Apparently some people have drawers of usb
keys the way I used to have drawers of floppies. I think I tossed any
key / SD card less than 2GB not long ago - became easier than trying to
remember what was on them every time I need one.

I suppose you could replace the old server with a new vm on the new
server. If anyone has links towards secure vm LAMP instructions from
one's home, chime in. I expect out of the box ubuntu server will be
rather good, but I do wonder if more steps should be taken so that
incomers hitting apache can't leak out into my own personal home files.
Be it outside that vm, or to elsewhere within my home network.