[kwlug-disc] Laptop sleep under Linux

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jan 29 11:14:42 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 9:54 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>
>> I don't much trust sleep or hibernate so don't use it as much as power
>> off. Even then I usually do that via shutdown -h or shutdown -r. Especially
>> given frequency of kernel updates.
>>

> That is odd ...
>
> Sleep is very reliable for me. This is 12.04 KDE. I don't boot for weeks.
>
> With older releases when a new kernel was installed, it botched sleep, and
> caused the laptop to boot on the next wakeup. This was fixed since 12.04.
> Works really well.

Following up on something mentioned in an older thread.

I haven't booted the laptop I use every day for ~25 days.

Again, this is Kubuntu, not Ubuntu/Unity.

# date
Wed Jan 29 11:11:22 EST 2014

# last | grep boot
reboot   system boot  3.2.0-58-generic Sat Jan  4 12:20 - 11:11 (24+22:51)

# cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS"

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.