[kwlug-disc] Bitrot and atomic COWs: Inside ???next-gen??? filesystems | Ars Technica

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 16:28:52 EST 2014

On 14-01-22 01:55 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> Jason wrote:
>>> That article was the impetus for me to try it out for the first
>>> time while rebuilding a home micro-server
>
> Did you backup, reformat, then restore, or is there a conversion tool
> to go from ext* to btrfs?

I had the standard Debian installer format the system to a single btrfs
filesystem on a raw partition (no LVM). After the install was complete,
I added the compression flag to the mount in fstab.  When you do that,
all new writes will be compressed, but to compress the existing files on
the system, I had to run btrfs's defragment utility.

some notes:
https://gist.github.com/JasonLocklin/8567549

> On 14-01-22 11:34 AM, L.D. Paniak wrote:

>> A couple of questions: which filesystem did you use and how much
>> RAM is in the system?  I am curious about how little compute/RAM is
>> required to make these advanced filesystems/features work
>> effectively.

It's just a first gen netbook with 1Gb (842Mb currently "free") of ram
and an "Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270   @ 1.60GHz." I havn't put any
serious load on it so far (and don't really need to for it's purpose),
so I can't comment on how effective it works. Poking around, and
installing stuff from apt seem to work as normal.

-- Jason