[kwlug-disc] IP addresses and gateways--my google-fu seems to be lacking

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jan 18 00:34:33 EST 2014

OK, with WRT if you can get it's wifi to be a client of the other, then
you can forget the firewall distros, iptables, every other bit of
complexity, and return the netbook to it's normal client networking mode.

Bridge the WRT wi-fi and local lan. Plug all computers into lan ports.

Use DHCP for everything, or set static 192.168.1.x addresses and
192.168.1.1 (I presume the downstairs router) as the gateway, and you
should be good to go.

The only trick may be to make this wrt wi-fi a client of downstairs, but
I've found the wrt wiki site to be pretty good at documenting things.

Start with just the wrt. When you've got things how you think they
should be, just ssh in to the wrt and do a few pings - to an upstairs
computer, a downstairs one, the gateway itself, and 8.8.8.8 or other
favourite place on the internet.

One thing to watch for / change your expectations for, maybe - if you do
any VoIP, your latency to downstairs will likely be higher. You may have
some degraded performance from your past experience with the powerline
stuff. (I've not used powerline stuff to know how good/bad it is vis a
vis wi-fi.)

GL&HF!