[kwlug-disc] Using mSata drives

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Jan 15 19:46:06 EST 2014

I've always set "Close lid" to hibernate, but that hasn't worked for
me in years. Probably something to do with cryptswap and random
initialization values -- I recently read something about initializing
cryptswap with a keyfile so that hibernate can decrypt the swap, but I
haven't done anything about that.

Since I switched from Ubuntu 12.04 to Linux Mint 16 the "Close lid"
behaviour changed to "Suspend". I was happily surprised to find that
battery power is enough to keep suspend alive for over 24 hours, so I
think I'll be keeping it like that for a while.

- --Bob.

On 14-01-15 09:54 AM, unsolicited wrote:
> I do / would do much the same.
>
> Closing the lid should do nothing but turn off the screen (make
> sure it does, they do get warm). Unless I explicitly tell it to do
> something via button or keyboard press. (Let's overnight backups
> run and keep screen off. Else, without screen off, no need for
> night lights in the house!)
>
> Seems to me sleep and hibernate, let alone off, are distinct
> buttons - you might want to make sure it is so set.
>
> I don't much trust sleep or hibernate so don't use it as much as
> power off. Even then I usually do that via shutdown -h or shutdown
> -r. Especially given frequency of kernel updates.
>
> I probably use the power button for powering up only, the inbuilt
> keystroke for sleep, and menu entries for hibernate. YMMV.
>
> Bear in mind sleep and hibernate are often problematic for
> Windows, frequently due to hardware / drivers. They seem to work
> better on Linux - imagine that!
>

> On 14-01-15 09:29 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>> Regarding the lid thing, I always disable it, and restrict sleep
>> to me explicitly pressing the power button, or sleep
>> automatically if battery is low (8%), and hibernate if it is
>> critical (2%).
>>
>> I am on KDE (Kubuntu 12.04), and here is a screen shot to show
>> the power settings.
>>
>> There must be something equivalent in Gnome/Unity.
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/Y8x7Zq4.png
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM, CrankyOldBugger
>> <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Good lively discussion we have going on here.  Lots of good
>>> ideas put forth.  Thanks to everyone who kicked in.
>>>
>>> I find myself wondering about hibernation, as in the past I've
>>> had problems with this particular laptop not hibernating
>>> correctly.  If you close the lid, you will be forced to kill
>>> then cold boot the sucker. So I might do more investigating to
>>> see if I can use the mSata for hibernating.
>>>
>>> And yes, as it shipped, the mSata was meant as a cache for the
>>> Windows 8 install.  I made the system even faster by erasing W8
>>> and installing Ubuntu...  Other than the lid closing issue,
>>> this laptop seems like it was made for Ubuntu.  The OS just
>>> dropped in nicely without any issues.
>>>
>>> It just seems a shame to not use the mSata, even if it is only
>>> 16gig.

using-dmcache-tutorial/