[kwlug-disc] Binary shell scripts?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 3 15:45:04 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 03:09:12PM -0500, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 03:02:14PM -0500, Joe Wennechuk wrote:
> > root at OSCAR-MASTER /home/oscar# less /home/oscar/scripts/backup-restore/backupOSCAR.sh
> > "/home/oscar/scripts/backup-restore/backupOSCAR.sh" may be a binary file. ?See it anyway??
>
> What happens if you say yes?
>
> Sometimes there are special characters in the first part of a file,
> like a foreign name in the comments, and it tricks less.

I also find that text files created in Windows can mess up less. I
have had good success trying to open such files using vim (in
read-only mode if you want).

I doubt that those scripts have been obfuscated, but it might be
possible (to hide database passwords and such).

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org