[kwlug-disc] Binary shell scripts?

Joe Wennechuk youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 3 15:02:14 EST 2014

> I'm assuming you checked permissions, so what does "file" or "vi" say?
> It could be just compressed file.

 I think that even though they are named xyz.sh they may written in some other language, and just named .sh

for example I have one here.. The crontab lists ..

00 02 * * * /home/oscar/scripts/backup-restore/backupOSCAR.sh>& /dev/null

which refers to this file..
-rwx--x--x 1 root root 9244 Sep 27 16:46 /home/oscar/scripts/backup-restore/backupOSCAR.sh

but when I look into the file  i get...

root at OSCAR-MASTER /home/oscar# less /home/oscar/scripts/backup-restore/backupOSCAR.sh
"/home/oscar/scripts/backup-restore/backupOSCAR.sh" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?

I do honestly believe there are shell scripts, and were somehow compiled? Is this possible? any way to De-compile them??