[kwlug-disc] Binary shell scripts?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jan 3 14:17:34 EST 2014

Yes, there are ways to obfuscate scripts.

One of them that I am familiar with is shc
http://www.datsi.fi.upm.es/~frosal/sources/shc.html

But let us first see what really this script is:

First do a:
$ which script

This will get you the full path, in case there are several.

Then do:
$ file path_from_previous_step

This will print out what the loader thinks the binary is.

Let us see if it is ELF, statically linked, ..etc.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Joe Wennechuk <youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
> wrote:

> Hello..
>
>     I have inherited a server, and there are several backup scripts on it;
> however, when I try to look at the scripts, bash is reporting that they are
> binary files, and I can't open them?
>
>    What am I missing here?

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.