[kwlug-disc] Cutting the cord

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Feb 26 23:06:05 EST 2014

Acanac, VMedia, some TekSavvy, are unlimited - which is part of the
point of switching. And, DSL will never be as fast as cable. Even Fibe.

That's actually how I got grumpy - I accidentally fired up a VPN tapped
instead of tunnelled, blew through something like 30GB of pointless
broadcast bandwidth without knowing it in 4 days.

Then discover current Rogers plan had 80GB limit instead of 60GB, but
they hadn't switched me. So had to swap modems (saving 20GB of overage
charges), but in doing so was forced into a gateway, so device rental
increased from $3 to $7. (Which I promptly put into bridged mode, so get
no benefit from gateway - which I didn't want in the first place.)

Enough is enough.

Let alone to discover Vmedia at $15/month cheaper, and unlimited ...

Mind you, I don't internet TV / stream, or at least not yet. Pry my
basic cable (no set top box) (have PVR) out of my cold dead hands. Some
day I'll be forced into it, and at that point, if not before, will more
seriously look into MythTV and/or XBMC.

Given notes here, not entirely sure what Vmedia TV will buy me, at
$40/month vis a vis these other solutions. (It's essentially a Rogers
set top box equivalent - without PVR, coming, or CC/DV.) I don't watch
enough TV / non-mainstream shows to want to fiddle with satellite, OTA,
or FTA. Internet/cable straight in and don't have to futz with the other
stuff. Especially if internet delivery gets more and more pervasive, and
more and more single interface. (vs ctv here, youtube there, google
somewhere else, us/vpn other stuff ...)

Note: Rogers, and probably others, don't charge internet bandwidth of TV
usage. (But would if you netflix'ed on them.)