[kwlug-disc] Niagara Falls

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Feb 26 17:54:48 EST 2014

Not disagreeing with you, just trying to see if there is a way to
definitively find out elevations from here to there.

I tried to use the topographical maps that Google Maps had, but they have
cancelled that feature in their quest for dumbing down things in the name
of making them friendlier .... bummer

And Google Earth is no longer available for the Linux desktop. So,
installed it on the Android tablet. No luck there either ...

Wikipedia says Grand Island is 591 ft above see level, while Waterloo is 1,079
ft. Wilmot (where St. Agatha is) is 1,210 ft.

But no easy way to find out all that is in between the two points.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 5:09 PM, John Johnson <jvj at golden.net> wrote:

> On 2014-02-26 15:16, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
>> Since they are "before" the falls (riverwise, upstream?), then I assume
>> they would be at comparable elevation to us.
>>

> You are correct in that "above the falls" is above the escarpment - like
> KW. But the escarpment continues at varying heights overland from Niagara
> Falls to Hamilton and beyond.
> When you drive on the QEW from Hamilton to Niagara Falls the forested
> ridge of hills a kilometer or two to the right is part of the escarpment
> structure.
> As is the ridge, more or less, parallel to Guelph Line through Milton.
>
> But it was the ridge of hills between Niagara Falls and Hamilton that I
> thought had the potential of creating a significant impediment to reception
> NW of the US transmitters south of Niagara Falls.
>
> And as the Beatles once said: because the world is round, it turns me on.
>
> JohnJ

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal