[kwlug-disc] (no subject)

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Feb 26 11:40:40 EST 2014

Definitely depend on your location specifics and elevation.

At home, Glenridge area, 3rd floor, I definitely got 3 channels,
internal (in room) rabbit ears. At King & William, only CKCO. (Inside a
cinder block building.) Today, I don't even get CKCO. Something
environmental has changed - I don't know what, but I would sure like to.

Easy to try, given what you have said - loop some wire across a TV cable
(i.e. internal strand of cable to braid - I used a cable connector with
paper clip in middle). Hang it in an (East facing?) window - put other
end to your TV's ATSC tuner - scan.

Guaranteed, whatever you can barely get that way will be enormously
better with a real antenna. That experience and the TV Fool map should
give you a sense of what you could reasonably expect if you actually put
money into it.

A computer doohickey doesn't necessarily have to be in your
entertainment cabinet. e.g. I have a computer with an HDMI output in
another corner of the room, and a long cable between it and the TV. I
just switch video inputs on the TV. Combine with a wireless keyboard or
mouse, and you should be good to go. Or at least experiment to see
what's possible before sinking real $ into it.

For CKCO / news, you can stream from the website - no OTA or additional
service beyond internet needed. If useful.

Part of what I'm getting from this thread is things like XBMC
aggregating channel / show selection under a single coherent user
interface from multiple web sites / sources. Instead of having to web
browse all over the place. It seems useful to explore what one can
already get with what they already have, before considering additional
services like HDHomerun, a vmedia box, etc. One way or another, though,
you've going to have to get audio/video into the TV to watch {whatever}
there.