[kwlug-disc] Cutting the cord

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Feb 26 11:33:54 EST 2014

There is also this Toronto based site, which may not apply to us here. They
charge fees for out of town, ...etc.

But look at what they say on specific antennas right on the front page
(bottom left). Also, their antenna page.

http://www.theantennaguys.com/

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:42 AM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I will bookmark that techunbound link, thanks for that.
>

> On 26 February 2014 10:32, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
>> I am also going on the path of cutting the cable, once Rogers termination
>> penalty runs out ...
>>
>> If I get local news, TVO and PBS, then I don't need Rogers ...
>>
>> TVFool.com says PBS from Buffalo is a long shot where I am, though I am
>> on higher ground than the rest of Waterloo. I have a large evergreen just
>> south of where the TV, and a house as well. So, will try the old coax lying
>> outdoor from an old unused satellite, and see if shifting the indoor
>> antenna to the far side of the house makes a difference.
>>
>> For outdoor antennas, these guys are local, and say that they will come
>> over and do a test to tell you which channels you can get before they do
>> the install.
>>
>> http://techunbound.ca/
>> Will wait till snow is gone before I give them a call.
>>
>> I can get CKCO in HD by connecting the unused coaxial cable to the TV's
>> ATSC.
>>
>> I will try first some highly rated indoor antennas, like the Winegard
>> FL5500A, which is amplified via a USB connection (so no power usage when
>> the TV is off). It is $150 at The Source, but on Amazon Canada it is less
>> than $100, and $60US if you have someone to buy it for you from Walmart.com
>> online.
>>

>> http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Indoor+Antennas&product=8011403
>>
>> Again, late March earliest ...
>>
>> For MythTV and XBMC, seems that OpenELECT is the highest rated distro for
>> XBMC.
>>
>> My issue is that any of these requires a PC. Even an Atom based one is
>> not small enough for my entertainment cabinet, which is now full. Also,
>> noise, heat and power outlets.
>>
>> Something embedded and small would be nice.
>> --
>> Khalid M. Baheyeldin
>> 2bits.com, Inc.
>> Fast Reliable Drupal
>> Drupal optimization, development, customization and consulting.
>> Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. --  Edsger W.Dijkstra
>> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --   Leonardo da Vinci
>> For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
>> wrong." -- H.L. Mencken

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal