[kwlug-disc] Cutting the cord

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 21:30:25 EST 2014

To CrankyoldBugger,

In regards to your wife, ANY PVR is going to have a menu to navigate.  You
can purchase OTA PVR's, Channel Master makes some, but I've never tried
them.  MythTV wouldn't be hard, as long as the remote is set up as
expected, it's very nice and completely configurable via XML pages.  You
could literally make a menu item that has your wife's name and takes her to
the recordings.  From there, you just click OK on one and it plays.  Very
simple.

What channel are those daily shows on?  I know one is on CityTV.  Check out
'tvfool.com' for locations of transmitters.  They map them out for you. :)

MythTV is probably more expensive than one of those Channel Master PVR's,
but it's more fun. :D  The HD Homerun dual tuner is about $99 and works out
of the box via a network connection.

But then you need a box to run Mythbackend and the Frontend.  Plus a remote
and iR receiver.