[kwlug-disc] Cutting the cord

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 21:07:55 EST 2014

I used to do something similar to Colin (no OTA) until about a year ago,
when Netflix won me away. Word on the street is that Netflix is working
well for most through Wine now.

I had XBMC configured to launch Netflix in a browser using a fairly
seamless menu option, similarly to how other plugins work. The only
slightly annoying thing was having to switch from remote to mouse
(+keyboard if searching). I suspect that with some research about LIRC this
could be overcome.

Colin, I have some specific questions.

> -with the plugin 'Canada on Demand', which gets me a number of shows
streamed (after the fact) from sites like Discovery, HGTV Canada, Food
Network Canada, Global, CTV.  These are the ones I watch reliably.

I found the consistency of this plugin lacking, as well as stream quality.
Has this improved at all?

> -with a proxy, I also use the 'Free Cable' plugin, which gets me ABC,
CBS, NBC and some of the other American networks (after the fact).

Neat! How is the quality of these streams, and the usability of the plugin
for finding specific shows? Do you use a keyboard? Also, do you need to
switch the proxy on and off when using streams for different regions?

Any annoying time limits on episode availability? Arrow is one of my guilty
pleasures, but CTV only keeps a few episodes available at any one time. Are
other networks similar?