[kwlug-disc] MySQL Backups

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Feb 14 15:19:29 EST 2014

I prefer to backup MySQL using cron automated scripts. This is just boils
down to a simple:

mysqldump db_name | gzip -c > db_name.sql.gz

If there is a need for a remote copy, then the dump is sent via rsync to
another server, and that is all that is needed. You can keep one backup per
week day (Sat, Sun, ...), and also keep an older backup from a month ago.

Monitoring depends on what you want monitored. Munin provides historical
graphs for MySQL (and other services). The monitored things that come by
default on Ubuntu (and I assume Debian) when you install Munin from the
repos are the following:

- Queries: Select, Update, Delete, Insert and cache hits per seconds.
- Number of slow queries per second
- Number of MySQL threads
- Throughput (bytes received/sent per second)

The following are also available, but not enabled by default:
- InnoDB stats
- Log activity (binary log)

All the above is plotted in different graphs, by day, week, month and year.

You can add other things that you can query MySQL for, e.g. anything that
can be queries via SHOW VARIABLE, SHOW STATUS, ...etc.)

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Joe Wennechuk <
youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All.
>
> I am looking for an open source free mysql backup and monitoring tool. I
> would like to have a web GUI where I can see the status of all of my
> servers and backups. Similar to
> www.manageengine.com/sql-server-monitoring-launch.html

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.