[kwlug-disc] LDAP Integration question.

Chamunks Arkturus chamunks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 03:11:00 EST 2014

I have been growing a bit of a web community over this past year learning
an awful lot about systems administration.  This process has lead me to
learn that giving a little can get you a lot.  This said I've ended up with
a bit of a dilema.  I have this massively complex network of different
services and servers here and there that require maintenance and security
and all to be updated as well.  So in my attempt to not only cater to the
opensource community surrounding the game that I support, I have many
servers with many roles kicking around.

I've been toying with the idea of LDAP, unfortunately my recording of the
LDAP meeting was just frustrating for me to review, as I just don't have
the time and hardware to record it properly.  I'll avoid going much further
into my situation but essentially I have a few things that need LDAP
integration.  Such as.
GitLab.nixium.com (Self Hosted GitHub variant)
ci.nixium.com (Jenkins Java build service)
nagios.nixium.com/nagios3/ (A learning project)
irc.nixium.com:5500 [znc] a bouncer I'm sharing with devs from the
community.
An LDAP instance running phpLDAPadmin (for security purposes address
omitted from this email)
[Planned Puppet Master Server]

Then an array of minecraft related servers/services that require per box
and per service account management.

Clearly handling this starts to get a bit out of hand.  My issue is I have
no clue how to manage the roles here.  Nor do I recall how to handle config
files like the following example.

https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Gitlab_and_Active_Directory_LDAP_Authentication.html

Basically I'm unsure of how to create a schema that will handle this
complexity.