[kwlug-disc] (IP/TCP) Port Relaying ... command is called what, again?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Feb 4 07:39:05 EST 2014

I'm setting up a (Open)VPN which by necessity is only point to point
(machine to machine). Because that windows 7/8 machine won't nat
(masquerade), there is no access to machines beyond that point.
(No access to premise routers so can't set up a port forward.)[Machine
has cygwin installed and happy.] Bridging is an option, but I blew away
my monthly 60GB Roger's traffic limit in 4 days when I was
experimenting, presumably due to broadcasts. So, back to tunnelling, but
no win 7 natting I've been able to find. Except for
http://rusroute.com/, which I have no experience with to trust.

It occurs to me I only really need port 80 from another device on the
network, all other requirements can be satisfied with this point to point.

So, it seems to me I only need something that will forward a port on a
client's behalf. e.g. portforward localhost:8080 remotehost:80. Then the
remote end of the link can just do http://othersideofvpnip:8080 and get
on with their day.

(I know ssh will do all this for the port - I'm avoiding the command
line / script weirdnesses with this particular user.)

So ... what's the command to use? netcat?

Netcat being a 'swiss army knife' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcat)
seems a little like using a sledgehammer when only a wee tap will do it.

Other lighter options, or is netcat the beastie I'm looking for?