[kwlug-disc] (Running a VPS) Mail Server? [Was: VPS (again)]

Nick Guenther nguenthe at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Dec 19 10:51:30 EST 2014

On December 19, 2014 4:49:16 AM EST, "B. S." <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>So many little fiddly bits, DNS stuff [can't recall the term, not DFC -
>the MX record isn't the problem, it's the rest], multiple programs
>chained together, blacklists, spamassasin, don't know what all else.

I've set up personal email servers several times. Fiddly is exactly the word for it. But that is largely because the systems involved are old and clunky. There is hope, though: dovecot is getting better and opensmtpd is here.

Are you thinking of SPF, perhaps? That's not *necessary*, it just helps if you're a large provider.

>Is there a current best practices how to on running one's own e-mail
>server (IMAP, not POP) out there these days?

I would love to collaborate on a guide to this. My last install only took 12 hours to figure out, and I took notes as I went this time so now I know what I'm doing.