[kwlug-disc] (Running a VPS) Mail Server? [Was: VPS (again)]

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Dec 19 10:14:39 EST 2014

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 4:49 AM, B. S. <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> The idea of running one's own mail server has always seemed a little 'scary' - not just to me, but others here have expressed similar.
>
> So many little fiddly bits, DNS stuff [can't recall the term, not DFC - the MX record isn't the problem, it's the rest], multiple programs chained together, blacklists, spamassasin, don't know what all else.
>
> Always seemed too much work. Anyone using yahoo these days probably wonders if it's less work than Yahoo has been!
>
> Is there a current best practices how to on running one's own e-mail server (IMAP, not POP) out there these days? [Googling it will just bury you.]

I used to be in this camp (those who avoid running email servers) and
I am still in it somewhat, with some modifications.

I still don't run any POP servers, or spam filters. I forward the
accounts that are in my domain to a web email (mostly Gmail).

But, what happened recently is that I modified SMTP so that I am able
to overcome Yahoo (and others, like Cox and Verizon) implementing
DMARC and hence my email bouncing from those domains.

Basically, what I did was re-implement SPF, added DKIM and a PTR
record. These can be tedious to implement, and test, but once you do
them, things work again, and you don't get bounces anymore.

The details are here

http://baheyeldin.com/technology/linux/setting-up-spf-and-dkim-on-postfix.html

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin