[kwlug-disc] (Running a VPS) Mail Server? [Was: VPS (again)]

B. S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 19 04:49:16 EST 2014

From: Colin Mackay <zixiekat at gmail.com>

Speaking of ...

The idea of running one's own mail server has always seemed a little 'scary' - not just to me, but others here have expressed similar.

So many little fiddly bits, DNS stuff [can't recall the term, not DFC - the MX record isn't the problem, it's the rest], multiple programs chained together, blacklists, spamassasin, don't know what all else.

Always seemed too much work. Anyone using yahoo these days probably wonders if it's less work than Yahoo has been!

Is there a current best practices how to on running one's own e-mail server (IMAP, not POP) out there these days? [Googling it will just bury you.]

Colin, has it been much of a problem / time consumer, what did you use to figure out what you needed to get going, and so on?