[kwlug-disc] FYI... 16GB Adata microSD = fast read

B. S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 13 22:18:39 EST 2014

Was looking at this not long ago, and came across a blurb noting that once one hits the 16/32GB level, speeds increase dramatically - seems speed awareness became more prevalent around the time of SDXC as a purchase discerning factor, and they're noting speeds in descriptions. And thus a way for the consumer to judge one product over another, forcing them all to focus on speed improvements.

I also seemed to see that once one hits the 16/32GB level, costs weren't too far different from small SSDs (let alone M.2 form factors looking like USB keys), and I wondered how long MMC will continue to evolve.

[They'll always be needed, be it cameras or phones, but perhaps not at ever increasing capacities.]

An SSD in a small enclosure, using USB 3 (WITH UASP!) or eSata, being far faster an interface than any MMC USB/PCI internal connection.

Makes me wonder how long optical media will be around in the future.

Same thing on the enclosure market for that matter. From what I could see there must be a whack of old inventory out there still to flow through - once you specify UASP, let alone eSata, the variety of products slim down to one per product type / brand. While lesser specs have entire product families / lines on offer.