[kwlug-disc] Where to fix an Acer A500 tablet?

B. S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 12 22:19:42 EST 2014

aptitude search 'v4l !^libv !~i' e.g. v4l2ucp, qv4l2, v4l-conf, v4l-util - sets the parameters if an app doesn't have such control.

Also, aside from Bob's notes about looking at internals and guts, booting/etc. will presumably only have the screen not the external video operable at the time, and the only way for many to see it will be on-screen / webcam. So, to Bob's point, if there is little text on the screen to light up the area ("Booting ..." on a non-backlit screen rather than a full splash), the camera may have difficulty picking up enough brightness to display well - thus his point about a light possibly being useful. When I rooted my phone, there wasn't a whole lot of text present, so I can see his point. [I guess something to raise or prop it up would also be useful.]

If useful, not long ago I happened to pick up a multi-LED USB light from Dollerama - $3, I think. Astonishing amount of light. (Off the car's USB charger port, no less.) Too bright, even, I went back to a single LED version. Black interior, at night, or black laptop/keyboard in dim lighting ...

- if you go this route, hopefully the flexible arm is long enough off the presenting laptop / doesn't cause gymnastics trying to manage it all. (Khalid webcam selfies will make good video title pages for the postings?)