[kwlug-disc] btrfs/zfs for backups

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 5 05:33:39 EST 2014

Depends upon your situation / environment. If you're SOX constrained,
you're not allowed to delete anything, ever. So deduplication becomes
very very important as each new night's backup pours into the storage pit.

I imagine all government has the same issue, given Access To Information
requirements. That's part of why HeartBleed / CRA was a little scary ...
just let them get behind the storage sink's curtains and ... just how
far back could they have gotten, and what might have been deleted or
poisoned. (Hopefully, as I said at the time, publicly accessible systems
are appropriately cordoned off, so that was never going to be an issue.)

Mind you, to be fair, all the de-duplication and so on can happen behind
the curtain of the storage sink, isn't time constrained, and horsepower
suckage isn't impacting user / response times.