[kwlug-disc] Productivity Suites, calendars, and contacts

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 5 04:00:41 EST 2014

That may be true for gmail (assuming imap client), contacts, and (sort
of) calendar, but definitely doesn't work out for their mickey mouse
tasks facility.

Not to start a firestorm, but PIM has been a sore point since Agendus /
Palm demise. Google Tasks exacerbating the abrasion.

So, Joe, couple things to start:

1. What are you looking for?

If PIM is e-mail [bad move (-: ], contacts, calendar, and tasks ...

- e-mail bad move in sense of having a nicely 'self'-centric organizing
tool / PIM [what's on -your- plate to do], e-mail has a tendency to blow
you away with everyone -else's- issues, not yours. So, not to say it's
not nice from the PIM to shortcut to the e-mail program to send, or note
this e-mail as a task, it seems better to keep e-mail and PIM side by
each rather than within. (If useful, a number of task solutions allow
you to e-mail yourself task entries and/or vice versa.)

I get that you're looking for all data to sync across platforms, which
at the least includes Linux desktop, Android PDA, and web (I assume) -
are there others, like any Windows devices / PCs in the mix? [Willing to
run a vm?]

2. What is it you're looking for in terms of tasks?

Personally, I prefer a one-pane outliner (thus I gain sub-tasks), with
additional fields (which makes the rub), like date due and more, in a
text editor like sized / tight display. i.e. the Google web display of
tasks just doesn't do it, nor most browser based things. Let me arrow up
/ down, right/left (indent/exdent) and type away. If this is what you're
looking for, choices get few and far between. (Although I gather node.js
stuff is emerging that may be promising.)

Are you looking to do GTD, (vaguely remembered terms ...)
Franklin-Covey, Moleskin, 43 Folders, sticky notes replacement, project
planning (GanttProject comes to mind), ???

Have a look at https://checkvist.com - the inherent problem being
integration (or lack thereof) with the rest of one's PIM.

Or even TiddlyWiki, TDL ToDoList, Task Unifier, FreePlane/FreeMind,
MindRaider, EssentialPIM, or ThinkingRock.

Further, consider whether you're looking for some sort of wiki-like or
'notepad with tabs' type journalling / note capturing facility, such as
Evernote, which seems to be all pervasive these days. Not advocating
Evernote, just asking if that sort of facility is something in your
specifications.

Is time reporting / billing / invoice generation a factor?

3. It seems the world has gone from Palm & PIM, dropped into a black
hole, and come out the other side re-invigorated as CRM.

So a personal xtuple type something may actually be more where you want
to go. ?

Do let us know. This topic keeps coming up for many of us, I believe
largely because the magic bullet of Palm / Iambic Agendus dropped off
the radar some years back, and nobody has found (or mentioned here)
better mousetraps since. But many are looking ... give up ... look about
hopefully for a bit ... give up ...

[Evil Google getting us most of the way with tags munged IMAP, but the
task side never getting any love.]

In the mean time ... check out CompanionLink
(http://www.companionlink.com/), see if your combination of desires and
devices can be satisfied. e.g. DejaOffice on Android at least let's you
search your contacts on reasonable fields, unlike Google (which only
searches on a small subset).

Curious your message has come along when it has ... I have
http://www.crmsearch.com/top-10-open-source-crm-systems.php up in a tab
waiting to be read, to see if this crm / non-xtuple idea has any value,
myself