[kwlug-disc] need a new router -- which one?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Dec 4 01:49:17 EST 2014

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 11:34:32PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 09:12:55PM -0500, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> >
> > Also the WRT54GL is not as well-supported as it used to be. OpenWRT
> > has effectively dropped support for it. We still use them as access
> > points for now, but I do not think we will be buying more. Sadly, I
> > think we have gone proprietary: we now buy Mikrotik routers, which are
> > highly configurable and pretty cheap.
>
> Which model of Mikrotik?  And, who is your source?  These aren't the
> usual retail products.

We have purchased:

- RB951G-2HnD (about $90)
- RB951-2n (about $50, but I think is now obsolete -- maybe replaced
with the RB951Ui-2HnD?)

Our most recent purchases were from solimedia.net, but we have also
purchased from xagyl.com .

One thing that distinguishes the cheaper routers from the more
expensive ones are gigabit ports built in. For our application 100Mbit
was okay, so we tended to get the cheaper routers.

Note that we have mostly been using these as wired routers, not
wireless ones. (There may have been one or two locations where we
depended on the wireless.) However, from casual testing it seems that
the wireless strength is okay even though the antennas are built in.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org