[kwlug-disc] Flash and Java

Kyle Farwell kfarwell at member.fsf.org
Sun Aug 24 14:20:06 EDT 2014

I use IcedTea for Java, which from my understanding is a variant of
OpenJDK. I've only had to use it a couple times but it seemed to work
well.

For Flash I've used Gnash and Mozilla's player in the past but found
that they had very limited support. I think Chromium includes the
Pepperflash plugin which I've heard works better than Gnash, but not
perfectly.

Now I use Linterna Mágica <http://linternamagica.org/> with Gecko, which
replaces Flash content with normal HTML video that can be played with
free video plugins (Gecko, Totem, VLC, Xine). I haven't tested it a lot
as I usually just use mpv or youtube-dl, but it works in a similar way
(at least to youtube-dl, I'm not sure how mpv works) so it should work
in nearly all cases.

Thanks,
Kyle Farwell

--
I'm an FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!
<https://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=12676>