[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Aug 20 16:01:11 EDT 2014

Yes, and it will then implement a virtualization layer for the CPU and a
hardware abstraction layer, and everything will running inside systemd.

Then suddenly someone will 'discover' that running on bare metal is faster,
then the pendulum swings the other way.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 3:51 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hmm... after eliminating dhcpd, named, httpd, samba, crond, atd, ntpd, etc
> (anything ending in 'd'), systemd will handle memory management, process
> scheduling, etc.  After that, systemd will take over shell.
> I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
> --
> William
>
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 01:05:31PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > The just released systemd version, 216, has:
> >
> > - A new resolved (a full DNS caching daemon)
> > - Full user space VT to replace the kernel VT
> >
> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc2Nzk
> >
> > Perfect example for the Inner Platform effect: something else sucks, let
> us
> > re-implement it in an awesome way, oh, then another thing, why not this
> > other thing as well, and another, then another, and we end up with ....
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner-platform_effect

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal