[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Aug 19 20:18:04 EDT 2014

More on systemd

http://www.infoworld.com/print/248436

While systemd has succeeded in its original goals, it's not stopping there.
systemd is becoming the Svchost <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svchost> [5]
of Linux -- which I don't think most Linux folks want. You see, systemd is
growing, like wildfire, well outside the bounds of enhancing the Linux boot
experience. systemd wants to control most, if not all, of the fundamental
functional aspects of a Linux system -- from authentication to mounting
shares to network configuration to syslog to cron
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bZId5j2jREQ/U-vlysklvCI/AAAAAAAACrA/B4JggkVJi38/w426-h284/bd0fb252416206158627fb0b1bff9b4779dca13f.gif>
[6]. It wants to do so as essentially a monolithic entity that obscures
what's happening behind the scenes.

But there are also 45 years of history behind Unix and extremely good
reasons it's still flourishing. Tools designed like systemd do not fit the
Linux mold, to their own detriment. Systemd's design has more in common
with Windows than with Unix -- down to the binary logging.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.