[kwlug-disc] [kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: OpenWRT

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Aug 14 14:30:32 EDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Paul Gallaway <paul at gallaway.ca> wrote:

> Looking at the presentation lafter getting the router home I noticed you
> had the DLink which had MORE flash than the WDR4300 I had a doh! moment
> until I found out it was not in stock at Canada Computers (although also
> on-sale this week). I'm happy to have something that can work now and
> hopefully it's not obsoleted too quickly. 16MB in the DLink should be more
> future proof for now, but with the high end routers coming with 128MB of
> flash now, that might not even be enough.

Yes, it has double the amount of flash, but is also more expensive (I think
I paid $80 or $90 when it was on sale at BestBuy).

Yours has an extra USB port though, which is useful for other purposes
(e.g. running a media server using DLNA from one portable disk, while the
other USB is used for a USB key used for storage of logs, usage data,
...etc.).

So I took the path that reported it definitely worked by
> installing the most recent release candidate for B.B. (RC3 at time of
> writing). I was pleased to find that everything just worked and the
> graphical interface came right up and the work around was unnecessary.

Good.

I also found out that dependencies which are broken in the snapshots (which
I am running), are available in the RC3. Posted details in the other email.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.