[kwlug-disc] [kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: OpenWRT

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Aug 14 13:21:43 EDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM, L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>
wrote:

> Does lm-sensors work/have a package in OpenWRT?

The answer is: I don't know off hand.

But let us find out if there is ...

If you go to: http://downloads.openwrt.org/

You will see a list of releases. You pick the release you are running (or
you are interested in and your router supports).

In my case, I am on snapshots until barrier breaker becomes a stable
release (it is a release candidate now).

So, I click on snapshots then trunk, which gets me here

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/

Then I need to know my chipset, which is ar71xx, so here

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/

If I scroll down, I should see my router dir-835, just to verify that this
is a supported release for the specific router.

Scroll back up to packages and click that, then packages once more, you
should be at:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/packages/

Now, you have a list of all available packages for your particular release
and particular hardware.

If you download the "Packages" file, it will contain a list of all
packages, dependencies, and description.

So, click here

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/packages/Packages

This is a plain text file that you can load in your editor of choice and
search. I see the following:

Package: lm-sensors-detect
Version: 3.3.5-1
Depends: libc, sysfsutils, lm-sensors, perl, perlbase-essential,
perlbase-fcntl, perlbase-file, perlbase-xsloader
Source: feeds/packages/utils/lm-sensors
License: GPL-2.0+ LGPL-2.1+
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 44363
Filename: lm-sensors-detect_3.3.5-1_ar71xx.ipk

Package: lm-sensors
Version: 3.3.5-1
Depends: libc, sysfsutils, libsensors
Source: feeds/packages/utils/lm-sensors
License: GPL-2.0+ LGPL-2.1+
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 6802
Filename: lm-sensors_3.3.5-1_ar71xx.ipk

So, yes, there is lm-sensors for OpenWRT.

But as usual, having the package is one thing and having the actual sensors
that report temperature is another thing.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.