[kwlug-disc] Upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Aug 13 16:00:30 EDT 2014

Following up on this error ...

I was able to overcome this error by identifying and purging packages that
are holding back the upgrade, via the following two commands:

$ sudo grep Holding /var/log/dist-upgrade/apt.log | awk '{print $3}' | sed
-e 's/:amd64//' | sort -u > held-back.txt

$ sudo aptitude purge `cat held-back.txt `

The file held-back.txt is kept so that after the upgrade I may refer to it
for missing packages.

Mine contains the following ...

graphviz
im-config
kdevelop
kdevelop-php
kdevplatform7-libs
libgvc6
ofono
telepathy-ring

Posting this from an upgraded desktop ...

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.