[kwlug-disc] Synology, and proprietary disk formats ...

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Aug 5 22:06:27 EDT 2014

It brings the same kind of grief that it would for ZFS.  These storage
systems depend on the CPU/RAM subsystem for error-free calculation of
checksums for data and, more importantly, metadata.  Flipped bits in
data will ruin a file.  Flipped bits in metadata can ruin the whole
storage system (pool, volume).

In the modern world, there is no good reason for server/workstation
hardware to not have ECC memory.  CPUs, motherboards and RAM that
support ECC operation can be had for minimal premium over "regular"
hardware.  Even the low-cost options like a $60 Pentium:
http://ark.intel.com/products/74749/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G2030-3M-Cache-3_00-GHz?wapkw=g2030
or low-power Atom Avoton board:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/X10/A1SAM-2550F.cfm
are ECC-capable.