[kwlug-disc] Synology, and proprietary disk formats ...

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Tue Aug 5 22:04:52 EDT 2014

On 2014-08-05 19:29, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> But what caught my eye is this comment about the disk formats being
> proprietary and unreadable on a Linux system

I recall incompatibilities between floppy disk formats for the original
IBM PC, Apple II & IIe, CP/M systems, Osbourne, and a host of others.
I recall different 'Winchester' HDD formats, e.g. MFM vs. RLL, etc.
I am fuzzy on others but have handled the ~60 cm dia disk packs used on
a PDP-11 & VAX 780 (format unknown).

OT (but still magnetic medium) in audio there was 8-track, cassette, 1/4
in dual / four track, and in video, of course, Beta vs. VHS.

Note: Stone tablets centuries old are still readable today.

JohnJ