[kwlug-disc] Multi-bay docks ... 1 at a time??? [Was: Re: Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards]

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Aug 5 13:50:08 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 1:30 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

>  For the regular daily/weekly backups, the dock allows a disk to be
>> plugged and unplugged for offsite rotation.
>>

> The network would still need to send things to a machine that has that if
>> you are rotating.
>>

> Right, for backups, but that wasn't the question. Although it does bring
> up the point that even a vm should be backed up. Be it the vm itself
> (snapshots? which would also need a backup) which means the ~35GB each
> night, or within the vm itself for changes only backups). Back to YAMTM.

Related: I tried snapshots in libvirt + KVM on the lowly 4GB disks that I
use. They were sloooow compared to just copying the whole 4GB from a saved
pristine copy.

With VirtualBox, I could not do that, because there is a UUID for the
storage that changes. With libvirt, there is no such restriction, making it
very easy to swap images around.

Now, this may not scale to the size of "real" images for real workload
(compared to the "just testing" scenarios that is my use case).

And that is why you see that data centers use storage servers, and not
store data inside the images (e.g. Amazon EC2 uses EBS, ...etc.).
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.