[kwlug-disc] Multi-bay docks ... 1 at a time??? [Was: Re: Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards]

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Aug 5 13:07:18 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> How is the 'snappiness' of a desktop vm run off the dock vs internal drive?

Never tried it. All my real work is done via ssh to a server. No VMs on the
laptop (except the years old Windows XP for the occasional MS IE tests).

Don't use the dock on the laptop that frequently. Don't want yet another
cable hanging to a gadget on a laptop that is on my lap.

The figures posted earlier are from a server.

For laptop backup, I use cron to do rsync to the server once daily.

For that speed (given that I see about the same time frames, myself, over
> my network) ... seems one may as well be copying over the network -
> 'special' additional hardware purchase (e.g. dock/drive) not seeming to
> gain you much vis a vis tower / natively connected SATA III drive. And SATA
> express is here. [Granted, other advantages to your dock for your laptop -
> e.g. local backups.]

Speed is not the only factor here.

For the regular daily/weekly backups, the dock allows a disk to be plugged
and unplugged for offsite rotation.

The network would still need to send things to a machine that has that if
you are rotating.

If you are not rotating a physical disk, you could do offsite backup over
the network to a friend's machine. If you are doing neither, then you
should.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.