[kwlug-disc] Virtualization technology

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Aug 2 22:25:02 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I have question...  From what I can tell about virt-manager, you can do
> the same things natively in Qemu/VirtualBox.  So,
>     Why would you use virt-manager?
>     Why put another layer or wrapper on top?

Remember that virt-manager is the GUI for libvirt.

So, I will rephrase your question as: why use libvirt when you can go to
the native specific technology?

Others who have hosted VMs can answer better than I will, but the idea is
to abstract the process of creation/starting/shutting/snapshots/...etc. to
be the same for all technologies, and make it independent of the underlying
technology.

For example, Xen is popular now, but KVM comes along and is better. A
company that has built its infrastructure using native Xen will have a lot
of effort converting their custom developed infra from Xen to KVM. A
company that uses libvirt will only need some minimal effort to do so, and
can use the newer technology faster and easier.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.