[kwlug-disc] Networking on libvirt vs. VirtualBox

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Aug 2 14:14:08 EDT 2014

Lori

You were right! I used a 3GB disk and it worked fine. Using the stock ISO,
Grub installed on it without incident!

Here is the df -h

/dev/vda1       2.4G  1.1G  1.3G  47% /

Now, unlike the Amazon images, the full 3GB is allocated, instead of ~
300MB or so, and is not qcow2 format. It says x86 boot sector and lots of
other info.

virt-install refuses to allow me to specify a format when creating a new
instance with a new hard disk image.

file:
t1.img:          QEMU QCOW Image (v2), 2361393152 bytes
t2.img:          x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active, starthead
32, startsector 2048, 5242880 sectors; partition 2: ID=0x5, starthead 155,
startsector 5246974, 1042434 sectors, code offset 0x63

-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root  265M Aug  2 00:49 t1.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root   root  3.0G Aug  2 14:08 t2.img

Any way around this?

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 6:57 PM, L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>
wrote:

>  Maybe try a larger disk?  size=4?  If your install allocates swap on
> disk= system RAM, then you need even more space.  I do not think that the
> Amazon images include swap.  I recall adding zram for EC2 instances.
>
> On 08/01/2014 06:31 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 6:20 PM, L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>
> wrote:
>
>>  What type of disk do you use for your VM in KVM?
>>

> For the plain ISO install, I used:
> --disk path=./p1.img,bus=virtio,size=2
> Which did not work because of grub.
>
>  I tried specifying format=vmdk but virt-install complained.
>
>  For the Ubuntu Amazon images, I used:
>
> --disk path=./test.img,format=qcow2,bus=virtio
>
>  Which did work, but the image was premade.
>
> --
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal