[kwlug-disc] Networking on libvirt vs. VirtualBox

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Aug 2 13:02:41 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> This was with your amazon images, not Lori's native images?

Yes, all this is with Ubuntu's images for Amazon EC2. I never got the stock
ISO images to work on libvirt (because of the grub issue).

> Seems to me part of your issue / intent was to automate everything as much
> as you could.

Yes. I wanted to have starting images with plain Ubuntu and ssh, which I
can take and install LAMP in various ways for testing.

> Thus Lori's note of some manual root networking (manual bridge) setup you
> were trying to avoid. But with your reconfigure below, are you not back to
> the manual work you were trying to avoid?

If I was starting from the EC2 images, then yes, I have to do this again.
But since I saved the images from after that workaround, then I don't have
to repeat this part.

> I noted with your link reference that they show how to add additional
> packages at instantiation time to the machine, but it's not apparent to me
> that you'd be able to put a reconfigure, not just a load, in there.

Yeah, once I get in via ssh, I can do whatever.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.