[kwlug-disc] Networking on libvirt vs. VirtualBox

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Aug 1 17:42:43 EDT 2014

On 14-08-01 03:03 PM, William Park wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 12:27:21PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>> On VirtualBox, I was able as non-root to get bridged networking by doing:
>
>  From memory, QEMU simply adds its tap interface to existing bridge.  I
> had to setup bridge and add wlan0 (my wireless connection) to it.  Then,
> the virtual machine got its IP from the wireless router.

Sounds right, I believe it's how OpenVPN does it as well, and no sudo
needed there.

Perhaps the main service [be it openvpn or virtualbox or kvm(?)] brings
up the central tee, and new connections just add/remove themselves to it
on the fly?

Could this be anything like with floppies, where you have to add the
user to the devices group. (Or some group, I forget off the top of my head.)