[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Apr 29 11:38:57 EDT 2014

Some more notes.

For mounting the antenna permanently in the back yard, one needs a mast
that can withstand the wind and rain.
The proper way is a 10 ft pole like this mast

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Tower+%26+Antenna+Access.&product=1509144

http://angelelectronics.ca/shop/ota/channel-master-all/channel-master-cm-1810

It is $40 online with store pickup at The Source, but only $25 if you have
a trip to Mississauga.

Or a chimney mount, which spreads the load and does not drill holes that
can fill with ice ...etc.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Misc_Parts&product=1509132

The chimney mount was not an option for me since there is a big tree and a
house south and south east.

So, a pole in the backyard was it.

I went to Lowe's and got a 10 ft conduit from electrical for less than $12.
Made of metal and seem to be galvanized. Very sturdy. A couple of clamps
and screws made the total $18 or so.

Not sure if such a heavy pipe will be appropriate for the side of the house
or not, and I am glad I don't have to make that call.

Now the antenna has a permanent sturdy mount in the backyard. I lost one
channel in the process though (CHCJ 35) and another came in (CICA-DT on 19
which is TVO from CN Tower, it is a duplicate of the local one on 28, so
not needed). I just moved the antenna one foot on the fence, and the height
is not the same. More height is NOT good for some reason. Will fiddle with
it when weather permits.

Another interesting point: the older man helping me with the screws at
Lowes asked if this is a TV antenna and was interested since he is paying
Bell $90 a month for TV alone! He said something weird: Kitchener has a
bylaw forbidding antennas. I am not sure if this is a fact, or FUD spread
by entrenched interests/landlords? Not my concern since I am in Waterloo
anyways.

And I see a huge antenna on Highland road's south side west of the Super
Store at Fischer Hallman. This is more like a tower with an huge 4 or 8 bay
and another huge (yagi?) directional antenna on the same mast/tower.

Speaking of Waterloo antennas, I noticed two clusters emerging in my
subdivision (Westvale). On University Ave across from Food Basics there are
2 or 3 antennas up. Also on Westvale Drive north of Thorndale there are 3
or so more. All are small antennas on masts or a mast + tripods Pointing
South East. A couple are omnidirectional.

Perhaps someone experiments, neighbours see it and ask questions, then they
do the same.

Still with me here? Please accept my sympathy for the time wasted ... ;-)
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.