[kwlug-disc] Refurb laptops & monitors - Eco-Tech Recycling?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Apr 23 14:08:17 EDT 2014

Thanks. Good points. Thanks chas, too - I had lost sight that laptops
typically aren't white boxes, so have different original CDs. (And, wary
of Toshiba from experience along the lines mentioned.)

Yep, these comments all mind me CHECK THE SPECS before buying anything,
especially refurb. (Bearing in mind, any laptop battery is almost
definitely going to be problematic, years in, which refurb are, by
definition.)

Frequently, bonus is maintenance manuals are easily found by the time
off-lease comes back to retail, including, and especially, upgrade
options / capacity. IF you can even find stuff like memory for it any more.

Nothing like being bitten, as I have been, on a new laptop plus max
memory I bought some while ago (Asus 1201n), only to find the hardware
crippled the thing to 4GB memory. Spec'ed out to take the memory, but
they cut some address lines (I think). <sigh>

To Khalid's (others?) point, a quick google of 'lenovo memory T6(0|1)'
reveals max 4gb, which these refurbs come with. Good to know that at
least that upgrade is off the table.

Sad that an SSD of any reasonable size (>64GB?) is almost 1/3 the cost
of the refurb laptop. Suppose one should factor that in against new. But
chas noted what I saw too - new at that price range is pretty low end
hardware vis a vis refurb equivalent. (Seems to me when I see lots of
off-lease stuff it's typically more business class / robust hardware
than the 'cheap'est retail/home offerings.)